When applying for a job as a teacher there are two sections to your application.
- The letter of introduction
- The resume.
Here is a sample letter to a high school:
Dear Principal Jones,
Attached please find my resume for your review in consideration of a teaching position at Grant High School. I have always enjoyed the marvelous sense of accomplishment that comes from teaching and would appreciate the opportunity to use this enthusiasm at Grant High School.
For me, teaching is an opportunity to create a place for students to learn in a positive, creative, fun environment. I can contribute to History, Government, English, and Literature studies. I possess a full accreditation and I have experience teaching at all high school levels in addition to teaching pilots and navigators to speak and understand English while stationed in Japan
I have no doubt that the students as Grant High School will benefit from my varied professional accomplishments. I hope you agree.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to setting a time for us to meet in person and discuss the possibilities further.
In any resume there are some very obvious things you must cover. Objectives, Skills, Experience and Education. Here is a summary of how to use these headings to create your resume as a teacher.
I am seeking an opportunity utilizing my teaching skills with an organization that strives to stay at the forefront of their industry. My diverse and rich background allow me to fit into any situation that calls for calm demeanor while working under pressure and using creative ways to problem solve. I have extended knowledge of developing curriculum for a classroom setting.
SKILLS AND HIGHLIGHTS
- Strong interpersonal and excellent communication skills.
- Excellent record keeping abilities.
- Skilled at making presentations to large groups as well as on a one-on-one basis.
- Instrumental at developing a classroom atmosphere that is scholastically safe, enriching & creative.
- Able to cultivate excellent working relationships with students and associates.
What the teacher is, is more important than what he teaches.
Karl A. Menninger
- 2011-2012: George Washington High School, Mission Hills, CA; English Literature; History
- 2010: Wilber Prep Wood Hills, CA; English; Physical Education
- 2002-2010: Wilson High School, Bayside, New York; English as a Second Language (ESL)
- 1990-2002 Defense Language Institute, San Antonio, TX; English as a Second Language (ESL)
- American University, Washington D.C.; Bachelor of Arts / Social Science
- UNITED STATES AIR FORCE – Honorable Discharge; Worked as an ESL teacher to Pilots and Navigators while stationed in Japan…
INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS CLUB, American University, Washington, DC
Responsible for expanding Membership. Instrumental in developing and implementing outreach programs for other Academic organizations.
Also served as a member of the Board of Directors; KTRC RADIO, Washington DC (Campus Radio Station), On Air Personality News, Sport and Play-by-Play Announcer & Interviewer.
I hope you find this helpful in your job search.